Applying for Expense Reimbursement
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
The University will reimburse allowable business-related travel expenses up to limits defined in this policy.
Submitting an Expense Reimbursement - Employee
- Retain detailed itemized receipts for expenses of $25 or more, excluding meals. Receipts must be detailed vendor receipts rather than general charge card transaction slips.
- Prepare an Employee Expense Worksheet (UM1612) within 60 days of the trip return date.
- Sign the worksheet.
- Attach receipts and other support documentation to the worksheet and forward to the preparer for processing.
- Receive the Employee Expense Worksheet and receipts.
- Verify that the expenses meet University (and/or applicable sponsored fund) policy and procedures.
- Ensure that receipts are included as required. Ask the employee for any missing receipts.
- If any rates claimed for applicable charges (hotel, mileage, per diem, etc.) exceed the University limits, contact the employee, and inform him/her of any adjustments made to the total reimbursement.
- Review for completeness and employee signature (see Transaction Justification and Documentation job aid).
- Enter the Employee Expense Worksheet's details into the financial system (see Training Services job aid).
- Print the barcoded Expense Report from the financial system after submitting it for approval.
- Attach the worksheet, receipts, and other support documentation to the printed Expense Report and forward to the approver(s).
- Once the approver has applied the electronic approval, send the documents to the cluster for imaging or email the documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send an email to Payroll Services at email@example.com and copy Karen Lander at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy department/unit personnel as needed.
- Subject line of email: Taxable Reimbursement - ER #XXXXXXX
- Text of email must contain the following:
- Employee Name
- Employee ID
- Dollar amount to record as taxable income
- Description of charge
- Reason/Justification for reporting as taxable income
- A PDF of the approved reimbursement must also be attached to the email.
- Review the Employee Expense Worksheet to verify that the request meets University policy and procedures.
- If inadequate substantiation exists for any expense item:
- The approver must request the appropriate substantiation for the items in question.
- The approver will deny any unsubstantiated expense reimbursement if s/he does not receive appropriate substantiation.
- The approver may choose to deny any reimbursement request not submitted within the established timeline.
- Once the Employee Expense Worksheet and attached information is appropriate, approve the transaction.