Examples of Allowable and Unallowable Purchases
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
Examples of allowable purchases:
- Car rental
- Catering charges, excluding alcohol
- Computer equipment
- Conference registration fees
- Copiers, leases, supplies
- Copying services
- Dues and memberships
- Hospitality, excluding alcohol (refer to Administrative Policy: Hospitality and Special Expenses for details.)
- Lab charges
- Mailers, shipping, courier companies
- Non-travel supply items, conference supplies, books, etc.
- Office supplies/materials
- Office water coolers
- Oxygen, gases
- Scientific supplies
- Telephone services, pagers, or cell phones (Department cell phones only). See Administrative Policy: Cellular Device Business Expenses.
Do NOT use the card for:
- Capital equipment
- Cash advances
- Consultants or professional services
- Lodging expenses
- Travel meals (should be paid for out-of-pocket and reimbursed at the appropriate per diem rate)
- Radioactive materials
- Research animals
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Any item not allowed by cardholder department policies or procedures.
- Any item not allowed by sponsoring agency.