Using Email as Official Student Communication
Last Update: December 2013
Responsible University Officer:
- Director, Office of the Registrar
- See Contacts Section.
- Updated: December 2013
- Primary Contact: See Contacts Section.
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
The University provides students with an email account upon the student's matriculation to the institution. This account is free of charge and currently is active as long as the student remains active.
A University assigned student email account is the University's official means of communication with all students. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their University assigned email account. If a student chooses to forward his or her University email account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments, sent to any other email account.
REASON FOR POLICY
To better serve our students, upon matriculation students are informed that their University assigned email account is the primary means of communication from the University community and that they will be held responsible for the information in the email. Email is the primary method of communication between students and the University. It is imperative that students understand that information will be communicated to them via their University assigned account while they are students.
There are no procedures associated with this policy.
There are no forms associated with this policy.
There are no appendices associated with this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are other forms of communication (i.e,, social media or websites) considered official communications?
While the content found in these forms of communication should match information included in emails sent to students, the content of the email is considered the official information.
- Any undergraduate, graduate and professional students. Student status starts upon matriculation. Student status may depend upon credit load.
- Student Information
- Any information related to student activities at the University of Minnesota.
- The time a student has submitted his or her deposit for attendance.
- Faculty and staff
- Communicate information to students via email with sufficient time for the student to act upon/respond to the information included in the message.
- Routinely check assigned University of Minnesota email account to review relevant information.
- Registrars on each campus
- Maintain policy. Respond to student requests.
- Administrative Policy: Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
- Internet Account Initiation
- December 2013 - Comprehensive review, minor revision. Improves the clarity of the policy by minor adjustments to the language and a new FAQ.
- April 2008 - This policy now applies University Wide, rather than to the Twin Cities Campus Only.
- September 2001