Withholding Diplomas and Official Transcripts from Students
Last Update: December 2013
Responsible University Officer:
- Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Director, Office of the Registrar
- See Contacts Section.
- Updated: December 2013
- Primary Contact: See Contacts Section.
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
The University will not issue diplomas or official transcripts to students with financial obligations equal to, or in excess of, $100 or to students who have not satisfied any student conduct or academic integrity sanctions.
Once a student satisfies his or her financial obligation or satisfies the outstanding sanction, the diploma will be issued and the hold barring issuance of the official transcript will be removed.
REASON FOR POLICY
The University expects students to meet any financial and/or student conduct and academic integrity obligations to the institution, both during their enrollment and upon graduation. Withholding the diploma and official transcript for not meeting these responsibilities is consistent with both of these expectations.
- Diplomas and Official Transcripts: Notification to Students of the Hold and Issuance after the Obligation is Met
There are no forms associated with this policy.
There are no appendices associated with this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How is a student notified that he or she will not be receiving a diploma or an official transcript due to these obligations?
Students are notified via both email and paper letter.
- Will a student's degree still be posted to his or her record if money is owed or a judicial sanction is not met?
- Financial Obligation
- Students that owe a minimum of $100 to the University handled by the University collections offices on respective campuses.
- Student conduct and academic integrity sanction
- A sanction imposed upon a student for violation of the University's Student Conduct Code
- Notify faculty, staff and students of the policy of withholding diplomas and official transcripts.
- College or department
- Advise students of the policy on the policy of withholding diplomas and official transcripts.
- Campus Collections Office
- Determines if diploma can be issued based on satisfactory payment of financial obligations.
- Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (OSCAI) - Twin Cities Campus
- Notify faculty, staff and students of the policy of withholding diplomas and official transcripts. Determines if diploma can be issued based on satisfactory resolution of obligation.
There is no related information associated with this policy.
- December 2013 - Comprehensive Review, Minor Revision. Provides additional guidance to the students who have a hold on their record through a new FAQs.
- December 2009 -Changes withholding of "degrees" to withholding of "diplomas and official transcripts"; Improves satisfaction of student conduct or academic integrity sanctions by expanding the policy to address these types of obligations; Aligns with practices of our peer institutions.
- December 2004