Establishing, Enforcing, and Waiving Prerequisites: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
Last Update: September 2014
Responsible University Officer:
- Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education
- Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Education
- Updated: September 2014
- Primary Contact : Tina Falkner
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
- Departments and colleges should be selective in determining prerequisites for courses. Prerequisites should not be set for a course except in progressive, sequence courses or where departments can clearly demonstrate that a student will not be able to complete the course successfully without first completing the prerequisite course work.
- Where prerequisites have been set, catalogues and course materials must list them and advise students to take only those courses for which the prerequisites have been met.
- Where prerequisites have been set, instructors may require that any student who has not taken the specified prerequisites for the course must withdraw. Instructors may, however, grant permission, on an individual basis, for a student to take a course without having taken the prerequisite(s).
- When a student successfully completes a prerequisite course after successfully completing a subsequent course that required the prerequisite, credit for the prerequisite course will be granted. Colleges and departments, at their discretion, may also allow students to receive credit by examination for the prerequisite course.
This policy is not applicable to the Duluth campuses.
REASON FOR POLICY
Prerequisites inform students that, in order to be successful in a particular course, they must enter the course already having attained specific knowledge as a necessary background. Prerequisites provide a process for directing students to courses for which the students are adequately prepared. This policy implements criteria and requirements for accreditation established by the Higher Learning Commission.
There are no procedures related to this policy.
There are no forms related to this policy.
There are no appendices related to this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There is no FAQ related to this policy.
- A course that is a necessary requirement before subsequent advanced courses.
There are no specified responsibilities related to this policy.
- September 2014 - Clarifications related to Higher Learning Commission accreditation requirements
- December 2009 - Policy now applies to Crookston.
- April 2009