Directed Study, Directed Readings, and Directed Research Courses: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
Directed study, directed readings, and directed research courses are opportunities for students to work individually with a faculty member.
- Colleges and campuses establish the procedures for directed study, directed research, or directed readings courses, including registration.
- Such courses require a contract between the instructor and the student that identifies the student's responsibilities and the name of the instructor who is responsible for turning in the student's grade. Such courses do not require a syllabus. It is good practice for a copy of the contract to be filed with the department.
- Such courses must conform to the academic workload requirements established in Administrative Policy: Expected Student Academic Work per Credit: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester (generally 3 hours of work per week per credit for undergraduate students and more than that for graduate and professional students). The instructor must set the number of credits for such a course in accordance with the provisions of that policy.
This policy is not applicable to the Duluth campus.
REASON FOR POLICY
Uniformity of expectations across directed study, readings and research opportunities is in the best interest of students, faculty and staff.
There are no procedures related to this policy.
There are no forms related to this policy.
There are no appendices related to this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There is no FAQ related to this policy.
- Directed Research
- An opportunity in which a student designs and carries out a research project under the direction of a faculty member. Directed research may be taken for variable credit and special permission is needed for enrollment.
- Directed Study
- A course in which a student designs and carries out an independent project under the direction of a faculty member. Directed study courses may be taken for variable credit and special permission is needed for enrollment.
There are no responsibilities related to this policy.
- Administrative Policy: Expected Student Academic Work per Credit: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
- December 2009 - Policy now applies to Crookston.
- April 2009